Monday, June 26, 2006

"and I alone am escaped to tell thee..."

I finished Moby Dick!

Yowza, yowza~!

I still think the Cliff's Notes version would have been better. As a child of the 80's, adult of the 90's, living in the "soundbite" generation --Melville's verbosity hurts my brain and my eyes.

So it took me, what, a month? to read this book. Shameful. But I can now add it to the list.






And since it's 92ยบ outside today, I think kids and I will DRIVE to the library in an AIR CONDITIONED CAR and hang out for a while.

Hm. Second thought, they just turned on a movie, and I need to make dinner. So postpone library to Tuesday. Which is our normal day anyway!

I got a lot done around the home today, finally. I was going to have "all this free time!" with A. gone to Michigan! Riiiiiiiiiiiight. (Said in best Bill Cosby tone)

But today (prepare for the bulleted list!) I:

  • finished putting away all laundry
  • washed all bed linens and comforters (a yummy, sunny day to dry them outside!)
  • ironed all the short sleeved shirts
  • "dryer-ironed" some of the long-sleeved ones (still have about 15 left to do. rrrrgh.)
  • polished and dusted the wood furniture in the living room
  • took down all the silk plants in the LR and washed them in the sink, putting them out in the sun to dry (dusty, dusty! yuck!!)
  • removed all vestiges of SCHOOL from the living room fireplace hearth
  • put the consumable school books in the recycle bin (YES!)
  • saved the "important" papers and artwork in kids' binders
  • mopped the kitchen floor
  • mopped the main bathroom floor
  • reorganized the CD tower so there's no longer big stacks of CD's awaiting re-filing
  • set up the Slip-n-Slide that D got at his birthday party (my backyard is now a mud heaven)
  • PUT ALL THE SOCKS in a BIN for ANDY TO MATCH when he gets home!!! LOL!!

It feels so good to have finally gotten something done today, and the key was this: I stayed home, I didn't answer the phone (unless I wanted to), and didn't guilt-trip myself about what I WASN"T getting done, but focusing on what I DID do.

There's always tomorrow. I still have a list of chores to do, but I can tackle them 15 minutes at a time. thank you, Flylady! :)

Blast and tarnation. I keep looking at flightview.com to see where A's flight is. It should have left at 7:40. Now it is 9:03 (eastern daylight time) and that plane is still on the ground in Detroit. He has like 25 min to make his connection in Denver.... oy! Hope he does!


No comments: