Friday, June 19, 2009

new pigpig


Here's our newest addition named Squirt, partnered with Julie. She's overcome her shyness since being paired with Julie, and she's turning into a really friendly animal. Jumpy and fast, as all young cavies are, but talkative and interested in people.

Steve Williams posted a link to a Sims 3 ongoing blog. (I am still stuck in Sims 1 mode - it's an amazingly fun black hole of a time vortex, so I stopped playing it.) This writer set up his Sims characters to be homeless; one an angry, insane, repulsive man; the other, his daughter who is good and caring, but has extremely low self-esteem. The blogger then reports on the choices the Sims make. It's a good read----and probably another black hole in my online computer time. Interesting, nonetheless. You can read about the adventures of Alice and Kev here.

In other news...we planted our garden today. My "salad" row went in first, then the three rows of beans. Further out in the garden are the 4 hills of zucchini, 5 of yellow crookneck, and 7 tomato plants. The garden is so tame and innocent at this time of year, full of promise of succulent, tender shoots... the challenge is to remain on top of the workload so the garden doesn't turn into a monster.

We have a party to attend in 40 minutes, and the kids and I have not yet done our requisite math school for today. Looks like the garden activities of this morning have pushed school to a Friday night thing. Bummer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do like your blogs very much...but the sim story was completely lost on me. Anywho, we had a guinea pig to replace a lost rat (chosen for his longevity and my distaste for dead and/or dying pets) it was a bust, rats are much more social, they eat everything which is much more entertaining and allows my daughter to connect dietary wise. The only bad thing about rats is they don't live but maybe 2 years. The dying part can be traumatic as they are predisposed to tumors which can open and "die" when they outgrow their blood source. When this happens it stinks and the pet will expire on account of the infection. Sometimes the tumors are operable(for a price) but the average lifespan is still 2 years at best.
My daughter, bless her heart, still held and petted her rat even when the tumor was open and smelly. She wrapped the tumor. when it expired(it was not strong enough to recover from a successful tumor removal surgery--a case of too little too late) my daughter blamed herself for not being in the recovery room with the rat--oh, and hubby was offshore so I made the executive decision to let the vet dispose of the body in their customary manner, which apparantly was wrong as dad says I should have let her bury it--too late--I maybe could have stuffed a grape nuts box with an old sock and pulled off a funeral but it didn't occurr to me.