Monday, February 20, 2006

training cavies

My dear daughter came up with a great game for the guinea pigs this morning. The young Snippet, who was an early Christmas present, was chewing the bars of the cage because cavies need to chew to wear down their ever-growing incisors. I suggested to S. that she put an empty tp roll in their cage to play with, chew, etc. Then S. came up with a good idea: put a small carrot in the center of the roll, and see how long it takes the guinea pigs to get at it!

We had a great time watching the pigs bump the roll around, fight over it, struggle to get that nugget of orange goodness...

So I'm not sure if it was really a game for the pigs, or just entertainment for humans. I think both!

The weather has warmed up to mid 30's, but with it, the humidity has jumped back up too, making it feel much colder. A. has been stomping all over the house trying to keep warm and complaining about Cispus-like conditions. Cispus is a learning center/campground in SW Washington where I swear they NEVER turn their heat above 60 in the buildings/dorms, so you spend your time there wrapped up in flannel shirts and sweats, clinging to your cup o' joe not only for its caffeine content, but also for its WARMTH. The tip of your nose is red and drippy, and chaperones huddle together in small groups, wondering when the educational experience will be over so you can take the 8th graders back home and you can WARM UP. That is Cispus, in a nutshell.

Science today involved a review/assessment of simple machines: lever, wheel and axle, pulley, inclined plane, screw, and wedge. Then there was a link to Rube Goldberg devices, and now the kids are drawing inventions, making simple things more difficult by the use of machines. Rather creative! D came up with a balloon-popping device involving scissors, a pulley, an anvil, a balance, a broom and a knife.

and it was snowing briefly today!

OK! I'm off to the gym, I think. I'm ready to get out of the house, because we did 2 days' worth of science and 4 days of history all today, so we're DONE. I love playing catch-up! :p not.

2 comments:

FrequentReader said...

Oooh, guinea pigs! I have three right now, and have had 11 over the years. You can find lots of great info on them at www.caviesgalore.com

They make wonderful pets! :)

Annecourager said...

They are a lot of fun, aren't they? I will check out that site. I've used Guinea Lynx'a and Peter Gurney's sites - Peter's site helped me cure my first pig of paralysis (it was a calcium deficiency). So these are pigs #3 and #4 for me. :) I keep telling myself that we always have to have at LEAST two!!