Monday, February 19, 2007

The battery bites the dust

It finally happened: my laptop battery died. Wouldn't hold a charge, even if plugged in. I knew it was just a matter of time. Approximate cost to replace a laptop battery= $200!!!

Cost of a brand-spankin' new laptop at Best Buy: $399.

Guess which option I chose? :>

So the 2001 laptop ($1200 on the original invoice I found) is now in the capable hands of our techhie friend Mr. Funk, who can refurbish it and do as he wishes with it. And I'm here trying to learn the ins and outs of Windows Vista on the cheap new system. It has some features I like (like a "doublecheck" feature that asks "are you sure you want to do this??") and several I don't - like, I can't set Firefox to be my default browser. Hmmm, not that that truly surprises me. Also it came preloaded with the Yahoo! toolbar, which I deplore. But I got rid of it.

So I'm having fun fun fun!

Mr. Funk asked if I would rather have a new dress or a new laptop. My answer: "Duh!"

I'm not a proper sort of female at all, I guess.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow, I didn't realize they came so inexpensively. I would love to have a lap top!

Anonymous said...

We bought a second hand laptop and the battery didn't work, so I just leave it plugged in, lol. New batteries *are* very expensive. Have fun with your new toy. I tend to use the main computer in the hall, unless hubby is all lonely in the living room :)

Karen said...

I had no idea that batteries were so expensive for laptops!!! Danny and I got our laptop last year and love it so far. I pray that my battery doesn't die too soon. LOL

Have fun with the new laptop!!

Karen

Anonymous said...

Isn't that crazy how things like that work out? Like its cheaper to get a new dvd player than fix the old one? I hate the waste that makes. Sigh. =)

how do you like vista? I don't have it on my computer yet (gasp!) b/c I need some more memory. It has some neatfeatures that I've played around with on aaron's computers.

3boysmama said...

I miss erin!