Wednesday, January 20, 2010

it never rains in sunny...western washington?

It's a rare event, but it does happen. California is getting hammered with wet weather, while we Pac NW-ers enjoy sun and 50º weather. I even went jogging on Monday to 1) get rid of Christmas indulgences and 2) get my heart back in shape.

Okay, I didn't jog non-stop. More like: walk, walk, walk, walk, jog for about half a block; recover for 5 minutes to get my breath back; jog for half a block; recover for another 5......you get the idea.

I used to run distance, really. Had to for high school sports. Hated it. Hate the floppy feeling of it all. I much prefer step aerobics, floor aerobics, cycling, or the elliptical machine - lower impact than just the pound-pound-pound of jogging. Indoor, too, so not affected by Washington weather.

However, it's sunny out, and I have a vitamin D deficiency*.
(* statement not verified by a professional. Opinion only.)

I also have an mp3 player and I know how to use it. Nothing beats a good set of tunes to keep you motivated to keep slogging along. Come on, make it to the end of the 32...now go for 64, you can do it!

Yesterday was recovery from Monday. So this means today I need to go at it again.

Baby steps.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I diagnosed a vitamin D deficiency once...don't know if I was right. However, did diagnose self as anaemic once and was proven correct by medical opinion so thus decided must have been correct about vitamin D too.

Well done with the almost jogging. I like to walk a lot but hate jogging...with a passion.

Annecourager said...

I did interval training today! The intervals were 5 min. walk, 1 min. run. Great intervals, eh? :)

I am a wimp.

Anonymous said...

still keeping up with the exercise? I love walking too, like Sarah, but can't do the jogging/running. Hate it.

Christy said...

without baby steps we'd never get anywhere...that is SO witty, if I do say so myself. You can quote me.

Awesome job. I say you can do without the disclaimers of "I walked/jogged today." Just say you went running!!!

another: without baby steps, we'd all still be crawling.

another: without baby steps, we'd all still be lying around.

ha. I'm cracking myself up. stop me. it's 11:00pm. too late for me.

Annecourager said...

I took a week off of running for Lent. LOL

Actually, I did go to my first ever Ash Wednesday service last week. Just to see how the other side of the liturgical aisle lives. I should post on that.

ANYWHO (invoking the spirit of Rebecca), I am indeed back in the RUNNING mode (thanks for the permission, Christy, it sounds so much cooler and non-pathetic...;) ) - today is another set. I've decided to drag daughter S. along with me because I need to not only MODEL good behavior but also TRAIN in it.


aside: I am trying to use one of those ergonomic keyboards. I have been typing the letter "b" with the wrong finger for years, apparently.....i keep reaching for b with my right hand index finger and missing utterly.

must go. sun is out. :)

Annecourager said...

i also meant to add - you cracked me up, too, Christy--it's 10:18 in the morning so it must not be a time-related thing!~

argh, cant type B!!