Thursday, July 19, 2007

Remembering Peter

I learned late last night that my high school classmate Peter Garland was killed in a car accident. Since I'm blogging "on the road" from California right now, I'm linking to all the stories I'm able to pull up on Google search. Looks like most of the stories are just one story, passed around via newswire.

Peter was the strong, silent type who didn't let his guard down much...well, not around silly, flighty girls like me. But he was a man of integrity and respected. My prayers are with his family.

Head-on crash kills police sergeant

Sheriff's sergeant killed in head-on crash

Klickitat County Sergeant Dead in Crash South of Toppenish

Death almost always catches us by surprise. Are we ever really, truly prepared for it? Peter is enjoying the presence of Jesus Christ right now. That thought is too big for my mind to encompass. I look at the report and think, what a waste...he was only 38! He was doing great things! He has a wife and two sons!

But God's thoughts are higher than my thoughts, and his ways higher than mine. Thankfully.

Forgive the scatteredness of this post. I'm dealing with this in the best way I know how.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. What sad news. It is always shocking and upsetting when someone we know, especially a contemporary, passes away. I'm glad to hear that he is in Heaven.

That is my Dad's name, first and last, so your post made me jump a bit.

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your friend! It's not something I understand either, but at least you know God is in control.

Joyce's Ramblings said...

It is always hard to lose a friend but when it come as a result of an accident it is harder. BUT rejoice in the fact that he is in a better place. I am saying a prayer for the family.

Annecourager said...

Sarah, that is interesting. Just funny coincidences.

Thanks everyone for your concern. I always wish I could DO something, but what is there to do?

Anonymous said...

I was just surfing the net and saw your comments about Peter. I wanted you to know that I had the the wonderful opportunity to work with Peter for the last 11 eleven years. He was currently my sergeant and doing a very good job at it.

The funeral was today and it was a very good service. Peter had more friends than most people and when you are in law enforcement you family doubles. God bless.