Tuesday, March 11, 2008

blessed

Some random thoughts on my recent illness:

I am blessed with a loving husband who cared for me and made sure the kids were fed and clothed while I was in bed for 10 days. As I sorted through receipts to balance the checkbook, I noted how many times he ran out to the store to get me popsicles, gatorade, tylenol, a strawberry milkshake, wonton soup--anything to tempt me to eat something or make me feel somewhat better in my delirium.

My children are actually very considerate people, despite their occasional lapses into selfishness. They were very helpful and thoughtful, asking and trying to anticipate my needs.

I composed a beautiful choral octavo and wrote a witty play all in my head. It remains trapped there. I was stuck in my head for several days, hearing snatches of conversations that didn't exist apart from my brain; hearing beautiful music; enjoying characters that danced across the stage, spouting humor and pathos. It was as if some veil were snatched aside that allowed me to glimpse my inner creativity. I don't wonder now at some artists who experiment with mind-altering drugs. It's all there, trapped in your head, if you can but get the curtain to move.

Flu shots are wonderful things - for other people, apparently. :)

Everything is currently reduced to the basics for me: rest, eat, teach. Rest more. It's nice to have everything reduced to the lowest common denominator. Everything else is just extra. Doesn't need to be done. Today my goal is to pick up the living room. And I will have the help of my family to do it! :)

I am very blessed.

7 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh my...so glad to hear you're feeling better now.

Anonymous said...

Oh so sorry to read you've been ill for so long! Glad that you are on the mend.

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Could you hace your kids come fold MY laundry? Just a thought. Glad you're out of your mind. (chuckle)

Anonymous said...

Ooo what happened to cabcree's blog? 'Tis gone.

Annecourager said...

ooo, Sarah, I dunno!? where's Rebecca>??! (panic)

Anonymous said...

it's there people. really. =)

Anonymous said...

Opps sorry did I cause panic? It kept coming up 'blog not found, address available for use' or something along those lines. Must have been a blogger glitch. :) Glad Rebecca is still in the land of blog!