Thursday, March 13, 2008

too early for a battle of wits

This morning I awakened to the sound of thumping at 0-dark-hundred. I grabbed my glasses from the nightstand and shuffled out to find my son in the bathroom, running cold water. The toilet was covered with saran wrap.

He was not pleased to see me. "Go back to bed!!" he hissed.

Even at 6 in the morning, I can put two and two together. I made him remove the saran wrap and empty the water from the sink.

What ensued was a protracted argument from him about how we never have any fun around here, how we are all boring, and how he is the only one who likes to have a laugh, etc. My response to him involved the inconvenience of practical jokes, how they're only funny to the person doing the joke, and how the world does not revolve around entertaining him and making him laugh.

He remained unconvinced. I wrapped up in a blanket and sat and watched the early morning news, because there was no way I was going back to bed while these thoughts were running through his mind. Sure enough, a few minutes later he was sneaking back to S's room. I waylaid him, and gave him a tongue lashing that NOBODY is to be disturbed during their regular sleeping hours just for another person's selfish amusement.

I think I'll start school now. Clearly this child has too much time on his hands.

What I want to know is, when does this kid SLEEP? He's awake until 11p, up at 5a? I just don't get it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annecourager said...

it's only funny if *I* think of it, you know.

D is unconvinced that A and I have any kind of life or sense of humor at all. How quickly I have morphed into the role of fuddyduddy!

This is why I keep you around - to remind me that I used to have a life and a sense of humor. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. In trying to be funny I, per the usual, was rude and insensitive instead. I've deleted the comment. I will try and refrain myself in the future.

Annecourager said...

I wasn't offended, honestly - I thought you were darn funny.

Don't go and leave blogger cause of it!

Anonymous said...

well, I can't put it back. but I'm glad it was funny and not rude. =)

Anonymous said...

saran wrap, that's like cling film? Oh lol! The old ones are the best...but not when we are on the other side of the parenting fence eh?

I have children who get up waaaay too early too.

Annecourager said...

yep, Sarah, cling film. I asked him where he got the idea, and he said he thought it all up in his head. In a twisted way, I'm proud of him. :) lol

But since I know good and well just WHO would have to clean that up.... well, in steps the Mean Mom Mode.