Friday, May 30, 2008

"what we did in the month of May"

1) Finished the concert series with South Sound Classical Choir. Yes, the sound tech came to the final concert and he made a good recording. I'm too lazy to go find one of those players right now to put on my blog sidebar so you can hear me-n-Kari playing.

2) Had a great visit with Grandma K from Michigan. We went to the Woodland Park Zoo with her and as part of a school field trip. We also planned to go whale watching up in the San Juan Islands, but alas, one of the Victoria Clipper ferries was having mechanical difficulties, so they had to cancel the whale trip. We got a refund, but that's not as satisfying as seeing orcas up close and personal.

3) I had a battle with boiling caramel for my popcorn, and the caramel won. My middle finger of my left hand will have a lovely, inch-long burn scar on it. The bandage made playing the piano rather interesting for a week or so.

4) Celebrated my 38th birthday and my 17th anniversary! Still deciding how to spend the birthday booty, but pretty sure it involves kitchen gadgetry, or bike things.

5) Snapped a photo with my cell phone at the outrageous price of gasoline on May 9, 2008: $3.79 a gallon! Decided then and there that it was high time to pull out the bikes and leave the car for long trips, or trips up to South Hill. (Price of gasoline yesterday, May 29? $4.19. Now even more determined to make bicycling a way of life.)

6) Spent a lot of time trying to get school completed. Still working toward this end. I told the kids yesterday we could finish school in ten days, IF we do 3 math lessons a day, etc... They are motivated, because we've left long division in the dust (or in S's case, set it aside) - and we've moved on to fractions and decimals (they love these!), and next up is geometry: rays, line segments, angles, graph coordinates, etc. Very visual, very geared to their learning style. Things are looking up.

7) Neglected this blog and all yours as well. I will snoop around and catch up with your postings sometime over the next day or so.



Is anyone out there a serious cyclist? I'm looking at acquiring gear to make it possible to transport groceries via bicycle. I could very easily go to Safeway, and even Fred Meyer or K Mart if I needed to - it's all here in the valley. (Don't think I could make it up South Hill!!) Richard, if you're out there... are you still in to this? Where's a good place to get saddlebags? or panniers or whatever they're called? I don't quite fit into this bicycle subculture I'm just starting to learn about. I just have a cheap, purchased-from-Target bicycle that's functional and fits me. Is there a niche for peeps like me? I'm daunted by these racing people.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know nowt about bikes, mine is in Dad's garage gathering dust. Hubby has an ex-convict's bike, lol, the prison didn't want it so Hubby got it. It's a bit moth eared about the seat but in great condition. But I'm not suggesting you nip down the local penitentiary to get yourself some wheels :)

I can't imagine what our fuel prices are in comparison to yours I've worked it out before, they're usually about 3 times what you pay so we're sinking under the expense of driving 100 yards, lol.

OK tabbed and googled a site: http://www.usa-vs-uk.com/petrol.html
According to that site, we're paying the equivalent of $7.40 for a gallon of diesel and $6.99 for a gallon of petrol. Although it did have the US paying only $1.17/$1.22 a gallon but I suppose it varies state to state?

I dunno, lol, sorry bored you with fuel price figures! :)

Anonymous said...

..yup the sites out of date , we're paying a lot more that what I just quoted...but can't be bothered to work it out. We're now at £1.29 a litre of diesel (rather than 0.85 as the site states) but haven't a clue what that works out at in US gallons and dollars...

Note to self:
must.stop.blogging.and.do.something.useful

Anonymous said...

Oh egads yes that $1.17 per gallon hasn't been seen in probably three years or more.

I was reading some article around ... Breitbart? Reuters? - that was saying Europe pays about 3x as much for gasoline as we do, Germany the worst? Or, no, Norway....anyway... no wonder the biking world seems to be so much more prevalent over there. :)

it's not easy being green..

Anonymous said...

Nah I can't find any up to date comparison sites either. In 2005 Netherlands was dearest for unleaded and the UK was dearest for diesel.

We'll have to get ourselves electric cars! Hmmm, no that's too expensive and not really that green because we have to generate the electricity...can't ride a bike safely because I'm a wobbler (can't ride in straight line so will die)...I'll have to use shank's pony.

Do you use that expression? lol.

Anonymous said...

You could always get a tricycle! >:)

"Shank's pony" I know but haven't used in my vernacular. Now I must incorporate it into my vocabulary!

Anonymous said...

Ha or a tandem to ride with hubby to embarrass the kids :)

Blog deleted...just taking a break from blogging on my own blog. Hehehe if I start up another one in the future how many will I have had? You were keeping count before :) I'm still going to visit blogs on occasion.

TTFN

Sarah, Linnet, Mrs Blythe...actually [shhhh don't tell anyone] the Queen of England under cover ;)

Zintradi said...

well, I havn't been biking in quite a while... But I have a father-in-law that bikes to work...
he's all high speed with a recumbent bike with a windshield.
There is a pretty good bike shop on Bridgeport way and stelicoom blvd (north of stelicoom) that will most likely have everything you need. Not sure what's in puyallup anymore... There use to be a great bike shop up near the mall in the little shopping area in the southeast corner of the parking lot over near jack in the box and payless shoes. I'm not sure if it's there anymore.

Also, if you want to haul groceries with it, you may consider getting a trailer, and I would check craigslist for one of those.