Monday, November 05, 2007

not wounded, but dead, sire!

Crystal is such a thoughtful friend. I feel so.... loved! By all means, spam my email account! or just post comments on the blog, because those make it to my email as well. >:) I'm always watching.

Yes, I AM alive! Wifehood, mommyhood, teacherhood--all these make great demands on Life, as you all know so well, since you have similar demands on your time.

And my children have thoughtfully shared their cold with me, so I have the first sniffles of the cold and flu season. I must be well by Friday when I bake cakes. (They're gonna be great, folks, stay tuned for pictures.)

So as I was driving in the car the other day, frustrated at my seeming inability to have any quality time in the Bible, I was singing the line from "If I Were a Rich Man" (from Fiddler on the Roof, for any Philistine readers I may have) - where Tevye sings, "If I were rich, I'd have the time that I lack to sit in the synagogue and pray..." and nodding my head in sympathy. Yesssssss, if only I didn't have all these responsibilities, I'd be SO SPIRITUAL.

Then, of course, Reality Check set in. I DO have these responsibilities. And God, in His divine power, has provided every single thing that I need to live this life in a godly way--by the knowledge of Him Who called us. (2 Peter 1:3, E's version) AND even better, He knows my frame, that I am but dust. So, I don't have to be perfect. (Of course, I can't be.) He knows that I am doing the best I can with what I can. And yes, there is room for improvement. But I can't go around mentally chastising myself that I am not like those mom bloggers (whom I really do admire, how DO they do it?) who manage to be crafty, prepare a hot meal every night, keep their homes immaculate, and are always sweet and cheerful with their dear hubbies and dear children.

No, my reality is not like that. I yell. I think bad words (because of course that's so much more spiritual than actually saying them, right? /sarcasm font) . I stomp my feet and toss papers around. Sometimes we have to eat at McDonald's because of swimming lessons followed by piano lessons followed by choir practice. And I clean... oh gads... I clean all the time but it never stays that way. Even when channeling Flylady. And I have two knitting projects that are not going to be ready for Christmas, I'm sure.

So life is pretty much normal around here. I'm just not talking about it. Sorry I'm so behind on your lives. I do think about you all often and even PRAY FOR YOU. Now I just need to get caught up on your lives by reading your blogs!

So can anyone tell me the name and author of the poem to which my title alludes? *evil laugh*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

BIG SMILE. I've been meaning to call since it had been so long since I saw anything new on your blog. I gave it one last look and behold - you're alive (though you may think barely). I also have the sniffles and had burried myself under 3 blankets today. H acted as if he had 20 cups of sugar this afternoon. So with a stuffy head I told L to get home quick before I put a child out on the porch to wait for him. I do think I'm going to have to call you though. It's 10:42 and I'm losing my train of thought. Good to hear from you.

3boysmama said...

Does it say something about me that all I can think of (when reading your title ) is the Quest for the Holy Grail? "I'm not dead yet, 'tis only a flesh wound!"

Annecourager said...

Diane reads my blog!!

Yeah, I should call you too... but all the times I think of it, it's midnight your way. not very nice, precious. AND you should know the poem I loosely alluded to in the title, since we both had to memorize it in Miss O's class.

LOL @ Crystal.... African or European swallow?

Anonymous said...

Did we memorize that the year I was flirting, the other year I was flirting, or the year I stopped flirting and remember getting caught kissing behind the lockers (all years, unfortunately, are probably interchangeable). And people think we forget as we get older - ya, if only!
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
PRAISE THE LORD!

Annecourager said...

ROFLOL!!! You are not the only one with some very strong *shudder* memories of high school. Thank God that He's in the business of changing people. :)

BY THE WAY, thank you for your phone call, which I missed because the battery was dead on my cellphone... I'd email you, but my desktop computer (with my email addy book) is out being upgraded. And I'd call you back, but I have now lost my voice, mostly. Does this sound like the lamest excuse ever not to talk to you/contact you? But it's all true! So I'm telling you through the comments section here: I"m NOT ignoring you! :)