Friday, November 09, 2007

the (positive) influence of Hollywood

The movie Ratatouille just came out on DVD, as most of you probably know. We had not seen it yet, so I purchased it at my local Costco and brought it home for a night of popcorn and enjoyment.

This movie has paid off in a lovely way: for the past two mornings, S. has been in the kitchen, whipping out omelettes for the family dining experience! Yesterday it was cheese; today it was turkey pepperoni, ham and cheese. D. has also gotten in on the act at the dinner scene, donning my toque and apron and speaking in a French accent. I put him to work slicing potatoes and monitoring the overall cooking progress of fried potatoes and Aidell's chicken apple sausages.

No, that's not really a gourmet meal, apologies to Remy and Co.. I continue to be plagued by this cold, which keeps me awake much of the night (I just can't sleep if I'm mouth breathing). So I'm not really "overthinking" on meals right now. I can't taste them anyway. Basic food with good texture is good enough to sustain my family for a few days. We'll get fancy with the spices when I can smell again.

Meanwhile, a-caking I must go. I am so paranoid about cross-contamination with dairy products that I'm washing and wiping things down a couple of times. I want Micah's 5th birthday party to be memorable for fun things, not that Crystal had to epi-pen him because of my dairy poisoning him. :p

To the kitchen!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed that movie!

Oh, and be a guniea pig...trying rubbing vicks on your feet at night and put on socks. There is no proof it works or doesn't. But that rumor is going around on email. (snopes says undetermined). It can't hurt, can it?

3boysmama said...

And MIcah's cake turned out great! many many many thanks from this very pregnant mommy!


THis also explains S asking me if I had seen ratatouille =)

Annecourager said...

LOL Rebecca, I've never heard of putting vicks on your FEET?! The remedy my mom told me to try yesterday was to rub it on my NECK and then tie a sock around my neck.
Well, the socks and the Vicks are the same, anyway! :) This is the same mom who SWEARS by putting a bar of ivory soap in between the sheets so she doesn't get leg cramps in the middle of the night. She's satisfied with the results, but I'm still rather "hmm" about that one.

Crystal, thanks, I had heaps of fun doing it. Kids birthday cakes are so much fun to make. And yes, you are very very pregnant!! Glowing, you are. :) BTW, D and S are still raving about the children's museum and they want to go back. Thanks for the invite to the party!