Friday, December 19, 2008

thoreau would be proud

My darling son D never does anything the "regular" way. He will purposefully get answers wrong on various assignments, just to mix it up a bit.

This is challenging for me in the discernment department, sometimes: did he get it wrong because he's pretending to be ignorant; or is he, in fact, ignorant of the correct answer?

I've just returned from cleaning out the van in preparation for my parents' soon arrival from CA (just in time for another ice or snow event here in the greater Pacific Northwest--joy to the world!). While cleaning, I discovered a Sunday school paper completed by my son. I can't blame him for his answers-- the writing prompts are hokey. Nonetheless, I pity his Sunday school teacher, who is a dear, sweet lady. If she quits, I don't know what we'll do.

Here's the text:
If I Were a Light (finish the phrases)
I would want to hang out at. . .

(D's answer)a bowling alley


I would like to light the way for...
A Moose


I would increase my brightness by...
extinguishing a flaming chicken



I do not know what spiritual application was made in this lesson (nor have I asked) - but there's just not much base material to work with here, do you see what I'm saying?

So I can't fault his dumb answers to dumb prompts. Way to go, Regular Baptist Press. I'm not very impressed with your new curricula if this is representative.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol!

But the biggest spiritual question, which probably has many deep and metaphysical answers, with repercussions for the holistic interconnectedness of all things is: why does your son particularly want to light the way for a moose?

Zintradi said...

so I would be concearned about his third answer to increase his brightness by decreasing the brightness of said 'Flaming chicken'.

Just because something has lost does not mean others have gained. That's the thinking that fuels these reality t.v. shows... for you to win, others have to lose.

Anyway, I though I would extrapolate a point out of nothing.

Amanda said...

Not relevant to this post - but I think you may have accidentally posted something at the Newbery Project that probably goes in this blog instead...

(With six blogs I write or contribute to in Blogger alone, I've done it too!)

Annecourager said...

Oh no, Amanda! I'm so sorry. Blush.

Annecourager said...

Richard, believe it or not I did think of something similar to your post above... then I thought further and said, wait... if the flaming chicken went out, it would be darker.

Then I went further and thought... but if he extinguished said chicken, he'd be doing a good deed, right, thereby increasing his brightness by taking care that his chicken is not, in fact, extra crispy.

Zintradi said...

that's true, perhaps he had compassion on the chicken and wanted it not to suffer so he extinguished it....

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!

Hugs

Sarah

Christy said...

but what if by the time he found the flaming chicken, it was already dead? and by extinguishing it he was only leaving it partially cooked, thus exposing innumerable persons to possible salmonella exposure?...

Annecourager said...

I'm still LOL at this flaming chicken post.......I see I missed Christy's chiming in... :)


I suppose we could turn this into an extended metaphor that all life's choices are fraught with both good and bad repercussions......

Who knew you could extrapolate so much from flaming chickens?

I wonder what Lisa (my Broken Silence friend from college) would do with this post... :>