Saturday, May 19, 2007

aebleskivers 101

So this morning, armed with an aebleskiver recipe from allrecipes.com, my new $2.99 pan, and a knitting needle-- I got to work creating delightful Danish doughballs. (Had to alliterate, sorry).

Whoops, I didn't season the brand-new cast iron pan first. So everything got stuck in short order. The breakfast was certainly doughballs, but not delightful, and I would wager that no Dane would ever claim affinity for my sad production.

I left it all on the stovetop and bustled away to our Ladies' Brunch (we didn't call it "Mother's Day Brunch" because not everyone's a mother but we're all ladies--so there it is). A nice, relaxing devotional (on the book of Ruth), some good lemon bars, chocolate-dipped strawberries, and sandwiches with no crusts. When I came home, it hit me like a ton of feather pillows that I was absolutely exhausted. So my DH gave me the luxury of an uninterrupted nap.

Later on I decided to have another go at the aebleskivers. By now the cast iron pan had been seasoned a little bit, so I tried again with less batter in the holes, and waiting longer before attempting to turn. Success! No, they weren't perfect balls like Arne's makes in Solvang, but they at least came out of the pan better. Kinda ovoid-shaped but without the pointy end. I still messed a few of them up, but once you sprinkle with powdered sugar and raspberry jam, it's all good. D. didn't' care for them very much, so A. and S. polished them off. A. came in later and told me I needed to make these for a church social or fellowship at our house around New Year's. (Interestingly enough, that's when the Danes traditionally have them--Christmas and New Year's.)

I'm hoping to get another digital camera within the next few weeks. Audra's old one is getting rather finicky and more often than not, when I take a picture and later try to retrieve it, I get "disk error" or "file error" and no photo at all. :( My last digital camera, an Olympus D-520 zoom - I remember spending about $300 for it. 2.0 whopping MP! (whoa! ); 3x optical zoom + 4x digital zoom (crud); 1.5" viewfinder; Quicktime movie mode---ahh, this baby was state of the art. 5 years ago.

Right now I'm totally up for getting a "point and shoot" camera but I keep looking at these Pentax and Canon things. Lead me not into temptation. Just lead me to a Best Buy and I'll do the rest.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooo a cast iron pan eh? Cool.

Karen said...

this is danny......I MISS AEBLESKIVERS!!!!!! the all recipes.com is a great site. i got a gnocchi recipe off it.

Annecourager said...

y'know I will have to try gnocchi sometime. Oh, and by the bye, I'M STILL WAITING FOR THAT KATSUDON RECIPE, JAMES. *tapping foot*

Anonymous said...

I finally looked this up. Sounds interesting. =)