Friday, May 18, 2007

birthaversary fun

Nothing like getting up in the morning, checking your email, and having a wacky Hallmark e-card from a friend. Thanks, Rebecca! :) I watched it three times.

This week Grandma Karen has been here. We have been eating out almost every night. I have been doing my utmost to not overdo it, and it's paid off--the scale this morning is exactly where it was at this time last week, so I'm extremely pleased!

In one of our wanderings about, we stopped at Value Village, the so-called "department thrift store." S. needed a new pair of tennis shoes. The halfling is only 8 years old and she is wearing a woman's size 6 shoe!! Amazon girl. I stumbled across several treasures while there - an aebleskiver pan for only $2.99!! Not that I've ever made aebleskivers but I sure loved having them when we would visit Solvang. And Petersen's Yummy Burgers, which I think is now gone, but that's another story. ANYway, I'm going to try to make aebleskivers with raspberry jam for breakfast tomorrow.

And the brass ring of finds at Value Village yesterday for me? A coffee mug that has a picture of Chairman Mao on it!!! I laughed my head off-- who wants a coffee mug with Mao Tse-tung on it? Well........ I did! I'm going to take it to church Sunday and have my coffee in it during Sunday school and see what happens. And think what a great White Elephant Christmas present that will be! It's nice to be prepared for absolutely everything. Like I said, brass ring.

It's quiet on the western front. This means that the kids have forsaken math for greener pastures - or backyards. We're off to Red Lobster for dinner in a bit so I'd better crack that whip.

5 comments:

Christy said...

My brother-in-law has an aebelskiver pan, and it was NOT 2.99! What a deal! I'm sure you will have many a wonderful morning breakfast now that your breakfast pan collection is complete.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the mug was MEANT to be a white elephant gift. They don't get any better than that.

And the hair wrapped around the french fry makes me laugh out loud. That is hilarious. (crystal's friend)

Annecourager said...

Susan dahling, I "know" you by now, because I read your blog frequently. :) And you don't have to call me "annecourager," either (like you did in the email)--it's just that internet safety thing and me pulling tattered, wispy shreds of anonymity around myself to salve my paranoia.

Annecourager said...

And Christy, I don't know if I'll make them all that often...it takes a while to get it all set up right, and then the wolves and jackals descend and snap up every crumb.

True story on the french fry... I had to leave the table to get rid of the gag reflex, and even then it was touch-and-go for a few minutes.

Anonymous said...

I love Hoopes and Yoyo! They are so funny!! I'll have to send some more later. Seems you had a good birthaversary. =)