Monday, May 07, 2007

Elementary wand safety and Bank Encounters

After I finished up teaching piano last Wednesday, I headed over to the local bank where I had to wait in a line to make a deposit. My attention caught on the young man in front of me. As he stood there, it looked as if he had no left buttock! I was trying not to stare (who wants to be caught looking at a man's rear end?!), but really....his pants were all caved in and hanging on one side. I found myself thinking of Mad-Eye Moody chastising Harry Potter: "DON'T put your wand in your back pocket, boy! Better wizards than you have lost buttocks, you know!" Moody continues his rant quietly: "Elementary wand safety...nobody bothers with it anymore."

To distract myself from this distracting distraction I listened to the conversation taking place behind me. One of the bank workers was chatting up the man who entered after me. "Hey, Rex, how's it going? Still live on ________ Avenue" and so forth. As I eavesdropped, two things became clear to me: 1) There aren't that many people named Rex, and 2) I know one who lives on ____ Avenue. I venture a peek over my shoulder to find that it is indeed the Rex I know--the one who's Crystal's and Richard's dad. :) We exchanged small talk for a bit until it was my turn to see the teller. So Rex asked me if I knew about the upcoming joy anticipated by the Nuclear Microsoft Family--and the crazy thing is, I honestly thought I did. For some reason I wasn't surprised, and said, oh yeah, I knew about it. But Crystal hadn't said anything yet on her blog!!

So, like the Chinese emperor who had a nightingale, I guess a little bird told me.

Meanwhile I completely missed seeing the man in front of me walk up to the teller so I could more closely observe his supposed missing buttock.

Anyway, a new baby is more interesting. Many congratulations to Crystal, Aaron, Joel and Micah! (And the extended family too!)

7 comments:

3boysmama said...

That is too funny! Maybe I mentioned that we wanted another one, so in your head you took that as me already prego? Or maybe my brother mentioned it??

Anonymous said...

Yeah, i think you had pretty much thrown out into the ether that your familly planning did not involve just two children, i wasn't suprised or taken aback either. do wonder if your house is running out of rooms though?

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha do you need prayer/ministry for buttock watching? ;)

P.s I like the little graphic on your side bar "come to the darkside, we have cookies"

When we get an email or a comment on my blog Yoda's voice says "Message from the darkside there is" :)

3boysmama said...

Sorry to hijack your blog, erin...
we plan to have micah and joel share a room. They won't mind until they are teenagers. By then maybe we will add on, or be in a different house. Who knows? Micah had a good idea. He said we could move down stairs to the study and joel could have our room, then the baby could take joel's room. Very creative!

Annecourager said...

Ooh, Sarah, I need that message from Yoda!!

I got the graphic from one of those little quizzes we all love to take.. I think it was "what bumper sticker are you?" and it cracked me up so much I delinked it and stole the image for my sidebar.

Doh! Did I just admit that publicly?

Crystal, you can always convert your garage and sleep out there. :)

Anonymous said...

ooo thief!

I've sent you that Yoda tune as an attachment via email, hope it comes through OK. If you see an email from Gary H it's not from Gary H it's from me I sent it from our main email account rather than my blogging yahoo one due to laziness.

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Hello 'tis moi again. I've tagged you to do a meme, hope you can join in.