Saturday, August 11, 2007

a certain shade of gold

This morning as I awakened slowly, I knew. Perhaps it was the cool nip in the morning air that washed over me through the open window, but more likely it was the shade of gold sunlight that slanted through the bathroom and partly through the bedroom window. Either way, or maybe because of both combined, I feel the change coming. Summer is fading.

I snuggled back in the covers to sleep in late. I've been battling a virus that has recently morphed into conjunctivitis... more commonly called pinkeye. Contagious. Yesterday only my right eye had it; this morning my left has gotten with the program to keep my right company. At first glancing at myself in the mirror, I thought I should be called "She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named," except my pupils are not slits, though my sclera were indeed nice and red. (For Crystal's benefit, that was an oblique Harry Potter reference).

Awaking again at 8 am, I heard S. crying out in the room next door. Her ear has been painful for the last few days, so I'd been treating pain symptoms with Tylenol. This morning, however, there's a fever, so I know it's time for antibiotics. I usually try to avoid antibiotics because they're so overprescribed, but I know in her case she needs it. She seems prone to ear infections, and I do know from experience they can be sharply painful. Thankfully, Woodcreek Pediatrics has a walk-in clinic open on Saturdays, and it was blessedly uncrowded. We were in and out of there in 15 minutes with two prescriptions. I dropped her back at home and headed off to Costco to fill the medications. THAT took an hour and 30 minutes. *sigh*

So between S and her ear infection, my father (who does not have shingles, thankfully!) with some dermatitis thing, and me with my red, dripping, burning eyes--only half of the family is well and functioning normally. The abnormal part of the family has been snoozing (ah, glorious) - but I think that certain shade of gold in the sunlight is causing the normal part of the family to have an abnormal sense of industry. D. has been pestering to go somewhere, anywhere, all day long. Mom has been doing laundry out the yin-yang. A. has changed license plates on the van, taken two doors down and sanded their edges so they don't squeak or rub on their door jambs, gone out to the garden and harvested a bunch of zucchini, and now he's wandering around looking for more ways to be of use.

The beginning of the end of summer. Enjoying every minute of it while I can!

8 comments:

Tammy said...

Even though it has been quite warm and muggy, I can sense that fall is coming. (And I can HEAR that fall is coming, what with all the noise the cicadas are making!)

Christy said...

I am deeply curious about cicadas for some reason - I just looked them up on Wikipedia but there was no reference on how to say the word. Also, I wonder what they sound like, I suspect I have heard them here. Do they make the most noise right after sunset? Or is that something else? Hmm.

What I was ORIGINALLY going to say is: thank goodness for moms doing laundry. What other time are you going to get a break from that? Also, I hope you feel better, soon.

I look forward to getting home sometime in the fall and enjoying it thoroughly. Although I also enjoy the eternal summer here in Bali.

Annecourager said...

I've always said it "sih-KAY-duhs." When I think of summer/fall in the midwest, I think of katydids keeping me awake more than anything. I don't know that I've heard really loud cicadas before...but then again I've not been there during their main infestation (for lack of a better word!)

YES, I am very thankful about the whole laundry deal going on right now. I'm feeling better. S. has ups and downs with pain and fever. Right now she's up...watching a video. Arsenic and Old Lace, cool!

Zintradi said...

they had cicadas down in Tucson.
They sound like crikets at they lowest volume. when they are loudest, the only thing I can compare it to is a silenced assult rifle... Where the "crack" is taken away, but theres still the machine like "whirr"

Anonymous said...

Why havent' you got eye drops yet???

Annecourager said...

Crystal, because it's viral, not bacterial, so antibiotics don't work. It's getting much better! My eyes weren't too badly stuck this morning, and the redness is just about gone.

Funny thing--last night we were watching one of the DVD's of Planet Earth put out by the BBC on Jungles... and they featured the 6:00 cicada, which you can practically set your watch to. So I guess they're amazingly regular little bugs!

Christy said...

six a.m. or p.m.? I'm pretty sure, after reading Zintradi's description, that I hear them here.

3boysmama said...

but how do you know its viral? I had pink eye from a cold that joel had and my eyes just got worse and worse. Got the eye drops and immediately they were about 80% better. Joel too.