Monday, August 27, 2007

jest doin' my dooty, ma'am

Today I had to report for jury duty at 8:30. Realizing the scarcity of parking around the Pierce County Courthouse, I decided to park at Freighthouse Square ( several miles away) and take the Tacoma Link Light Rail system to approximately where I needed to be.

Got parked at 8:20.
Waited for Link - got on link at 8:30. Gonna be late.
Got off Link in the Theatre District at 8:36.

Remembered that Tacoma is Stairmaster City, and my walk would be 5-6 blocks uphill. Steep uphill. Think San Francisco.

Arrived, panting and sweating, at 8:55 am, and of course the Jury Assembly Room has its doorway at the FRONT of the room so everyone can see me slink in late.

So much for using transit. Gonna have to leave a bit earlier and dress in workout clothes if I try that route again!

We got treated to a big rah rah pep talk. The lady was genuinely friendly, though. I was privately thinking she'd have to be, dealing with people who are grouchy about missing work for a $10-per-day gig performing civic duties. Scattered throughout the room were motivating signs: "We Appreciate You, Jurors!" "You are THE BEST!" "Thank you for your service!" and so forth.

Then we got assigned a color coded number and sent to different courtrooms, where we met with a judge and the attorneys. Following that meeting, I received a huge packet questionnaire, a "Voie Dire," my chance to tell the truth and let them know just how biased I would be about certain things if I were to be a juror on that particular trial.

After completing that, I was free until 3 pm, at which point we all were to return and be called out for questioning regarding our responses to the form.

In my break period, I went back to Puyallup, made lunch, cleaned the kitchen, swept and mopped the kitchen and both bathrooms, and got D. enrolled at Maplewood for band this fall. Then, remembering the lessons of the morning, left at 2 to ensure I arrived back at my destination well before 3! I armed myself with a magazine (American Music Teacher), a book (Miracle on Maple Hill), and a sock that I'm working on for D. After an hour and a half of sitting, knitting, reading, and dozing... I was told to go home and come back tomorrow at 9:30 a.m.


I haven't violated anything by telling you all of this. I'm just describing the process. Not who, what, details, or even the questions they asked me in the questionnaire...though I'd love to (snicker). But anyway. I'm supposed to be available from 8:30-4:30 for the next 10 days. Boy, that's $100 plus mileage! *sigh*

As we walked from the building in a clump, one man was describing his experience as a juror on a federal case. Apparently you can't get out of it if the feds want you as a juror. And they have you for 6 months, not two weeks. But back in 1981, the guy made $50 a day, which wasn't complete hay back then.

So, tomorrow: knitting and reading. Oh, and no internet. Bites.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thankfully the couple times I've had to do it my job still paid me.

There was a guy recently who wanted out of jury duty so bad he made up stuff on his "application" (for whatever he was being selected for). Said he hated blacks and all this other stuff. The judge confronted him. Not sure what happened. But the judge basically found out he was lying to get out of jury duty. The guy could've gone to jail. Dork.

Annecourager said...

That's how Homer Simpson got out of it: told the judge he was prejudiced against everybody. :)

Zintradi said...

so do they ask you things like:

do you listen to talk radio?

would you consider yourself progrssive or conservative?

do you like gladiator movies?

do you believe in the death penalty?

have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

3boysmama said...

so hows the week going?
Fortunately every time I've been called for jury duty I've had good excuses :
living in OrangeC when called in Pierce county
living in King county when called in Orange County
Nursing a baby--automatic exemption in Orange county
attending grad school--although I still had to show up and write down my excuse

Is being 6 months pregnant a good excuse?

Annecourager said...

Set free as of Wednesday!!

The attorneys/judge read through my questionnaire and just released me from the case, snap! No further questions for me.

So then I was put back in the jury pool. I told the woman in charge that after Tuesday my husband would no longer be able to watch the children (which was true, not a dodge) - so she let me go Tuesday afternoon and excused me from any further service.

Some questions I was asked:
Have you ever, or do you know someone who has been an employee of Key Bank? (Thank you, Rebecca!)

What is the first word you think of when you hear "defense attorney" ? (Weasel)

What is the first word you think of when you hear "prosecuting attorney?" (shark)

They wanted to know the extent of my knowledge/involvement with any attorneys (Shout outs to Wally Trembath, Casper, WY, and Andy Efaw, Denver, CO)

They wanted to know my extent of involvement with Not-for-profit organizations (Hollas to WSMTA Mt. Rainier Chapter).

I answered thoroughly and honestly, and they never called me back in, just released me. :) Must've been the weasel and shark thing.