Saturday, January 22, 2005

John Donne and some mundane things

This morning as I was trying to have some time uninterrupted to study my Bible, (wasn't happening) I was searching for a particular poem in my trusty old battered Norton Anthology. I couldn't find it; however, I found another goodie by John Donne that summed up the frustration I was feeling.

Batter my heart, three-person'd God, for you
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurp'd town to another due,
Labor to admit you, but oh, to no end;
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captiv'd, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be lov'd fain,
But am betroth'd unto your enemy;
Divorce me, untie or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.


It was a dark and rainy day. (Sounds like the beginning of one of Snoopy's books!) That didn't keep D/S from playing outside, however, and getting soaked. Earlier this morning a lady in our church called and wanted to stop by to pick up a Bible she'd ordered. She and her husband came by while I was still in my jammies. That was hugelyb embarrassing. David let them in the house before I even knew they were here, and I was "trapped" on the couch with my blanket. They stayed for 20 minutes. I was sending them telepathic vibes: "Do Not Stay When The Lady Is Indisposed" but sadly, it did not work.

I did some computer/secretary work for Andy and the church (tomorrow is the annual polity meeting) and rearranged some bookshelves.
I dusted the ceiling fan.
I planned how to do a particular wedding cake coming up in March. I have to make soft, edible pearls for the second cake and did some internet research on how best to do that.

While I was doing all these quasi-useful things, the kids watched Chicken Run and made lemonade without my knowledge or permission. Their recipe: One entire bottle RealLemon juice concentrate, 1 cup sugar. Spill sugar liberally over countertops and floor. Mix and splash lemon juice onto same countertops. Pour mixed beverage into my best stemware. Garnish with sliced apple.

I was not pleased, putting it mildly.

I'll have to see how I can waste the rest of the day. The kids want to watch The Empire Strikes Back and I've told them not a chance until their rooms are devoid of toys on the floor. Meanwhile a pork roast is perfuming the house very nicely. I'd better get back to the side dishes for now.

Tschuss.

No comments: