Monday, January 31, 2005

Pedal pusher

Wanting to keep up the meager start I'd made at taking proactive charge of my health and fitness, I set the alarm at 5:15 am so I could make it to Bally's in time for their 5:45 aerobic-type class.

However, I wasn't doing so well last night in the sleep department. Had to get up several times because I wasn't feeling well. Being delicate, just some stomach issues. So when 5:15 came, I just turned off the alarm to get a few more Zzz's before going to clean Dr J's.

Returning from Dr J's I found that the carefully-written and planned Checklist Of Things For The Family To Do While Mom Is Out-- was completely ignored. The kids were unfed, the house was unpickedup, the schoolwork was undone, and I was unhappy. I mean, not ONE thing was done on this list. Oh, well, yes I guess they managed to get themselved dressed, but that was ALL. (@(*#&(*&$@!!

So instead of rolling with it, I decided to throw a good little fit. Got the kids back over to Dr J's for their lessons (unfed) - and then back home again so I could finish pickup before my first student arrived.

It ended up being a short teaching day; One sick, one lost track of time, one on a month's sabbatical - so I taught two kids. By the time I was finished, Andy had taken the kids to karate (still unfed? I think they may have grabbed a sandwich by this time...yes, there was peanut butter on the countertop).......and I realized, HEY!! NOW I CAN GO TO BALLY'S!!

So instead of the step class that I had planned to do - I now was going to give Reactive Cycling a try.

Oh. My. Butt.

I don't think I have ever pedaled non-stop for 50 minutes until today. It was challenging, too... we added resistance at regular intervals, had to stand up and pedal....had to lean forward while standing and pedaling.... the leader would give occasional recovery breaks, but I was dripping after a bit, and I don't drip. It was challenging and a lot of fun. But I found something interesting...I couldn't stop pedaling! The muscle memory had taken over or something. It was going without my even thinking about it. Esp. when I'd taken off all the resistance.

The 2 things I found annoying about the cycling:
  1. My nether parts that were in direct contact with the cycle seat were COMPLETELY numb by the time I was through........UGH, the pins and needles! But no, i did NOT like the seat situation.
  2. The little doohickey on the pedals that you stick your shoes into so your feet don't slip....that was adjusted too tightly, and my toes fell asleep.

But all in all it was a great workout and one I want to try again (if I can find a cycle with a cushier tushie). I could tell it was good because I was lobster-faced and stringy-haired when it was all done. But there was some definite muscle failure in my quads later on...trying to sit down ended up being a "flump" down when the resistance didn't kick in.

I wonder what I'll feel like tomorrow?

No comments: