Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Another Reason to Homeschool

Yep, this is our town. Thank God that Columbine has left everyone much more sensitive and not willing to regard people like this as just blowhards without any true intent. They actually found the makings of bombs in this kid's house! "Take me seriously, or you'll be sorry if you don't."

This whole "striving for significance" that, really, all of mankind does--for some, it doesn't matter whether they are loved and adored; they'll be just as fulfilled if they are hated and feared. As long as they are KNOWN.

Don't we all have this tendency, though? A desire to leave our mark on the world in some way? (Not everyone, of course, will do this by violent and destructive means!) Maybe for me, it's through this blog. Or the book that I keep thinking about writing, but never actually doing. Or the music I'd like to compose. For someone else, it might be through their children. Or their car collection. Or their perfectly-manicured lawn. Or their stock portfolio. Or their fashion sense. Go on, ad nauseam.

Any self-aggrandizement, however seemingly harmless, detracts from the glory of God.

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in your sight,
O LORD, my rock and my redeemer!

--Psalm 19:14

2 comments:

3boysmama said...

Wow!! Yikes! I can't believe that is in Puyallup!

Anonymous said...

I agree, I think we all want to leave our 'mark on the world' in some way. It seems to me that more and more people are finding this through the media somehow. The more weird or unbelievable something is...the more the media hypes it up. We all leave our 'scent' more than we realize, though.