Saturday, April 15, 2006

South Hill on Saturdays...

...and especially the day before a holiday.....is ALWAYS a bad idea. I knew this before I ventured forth. It was necessary, however. Neither S nor D had any decent Sunday shoes that fit properly. We sneaked into WallyWorld about 11:20 am. It was busy, but not overwhelming. Managed to get dress shoes for them both, and some sneakers for S--then back in the car by 11:45. We needed to get to karate in Graham by 12:30, so instead of battling Meridian traffic southbound, I took a shortcut down to the Sumner-Orting Highway and went up the back way. Saved tons of time; we were there 15 minutes early!

After karate, I knew I had to do more shopping. We crept slowly back into town (this time via Meridian northbound); got some groceries at the new Safeway (lines horrible); grabbed lunch at McD's; and sadly, had to go to WalMart again for things i was unable to get the first time due to time constraints. It only took me about 10 minutes to grab the items- but by this time, the LINES to check out were absolutely horrendous!! My stars!! By this time D and S are quarrelling. I put one on one side of the cart, one on the other, told them not to speak to one another, and put on a happy face (probably a little strained). The lady in line behind us was cracking jokes about how she went through the same thing, etc. and I smiled as warmly as I could at her while trying to keep my kids in check.

I didn't check my cellphone time (I wasn't wearing a watch) but we easily spent 30 minutes in line waiting to check out. I only had 5 items; everyone else had carts filled to the brim, it seemed. And the checkout clerk was painfully slow. Ah well. Serves me right for delaying my shopping until a holiday weekend!

For tomorrow, I've made a fresh strawberry pie (craving!). With it (oh, yes, the main course) will be a spiral ham and a Taste of Home recipe I've wanted to try called Onions Neptune. Add a broccoli casserole and it will be perfect. The only thing is, we're probably going to be too full to enjoy it properly. There's a breakfast at church tomorrow, and that usually involves a great deal of food. I'm bringing orange juice! wuahahahahaha.

No comments: