Thursday, April 27, 2006

Praise the Lord, and Pass the Cough Drops

S is on round 2 of antibiotics: ear infection is back. A. continues to cough up his lungs nightly (I am listening to him hack even as I type). I am dealing with some really nice allergies that glue my eyelids closed every morning, post-nasal drip that gives me a chesty cough and a sore throat, and laryngitis that makes it nigh impossible to speak. D. is just fine and dandy, thank you for asking!


Ah well, "in sickness and in health"! Pray for patience. God will give us the grace to deal with this.

On the investigative front: I'm looking into a preservative/additive-free diet called Failsafe (similar to Feingold, if you have heard of either) to help with some issues I'm observing in the kids. I am not your typical crunchy granola hippie mother, but there is something to be said for how much chemical crud is in the food we eat -and how does this really affect us, long-term? So I'm trying to do my homework, and once I've gotten more of my ducks in a row, and if the Lord wills, I will be starting an elimination diet amongst our family to see if there are some food intolerances that are affecting us negatively. I am pretty sure that most of the store-bought breads and crackers will be gone. What I'm not sure about is whether we'll go gluten- and dairy- free at the same time, or wait a bit. Fortunately the kids like Rice Dream, but not VitaSoy at this point. I don't even want to think about what A. will say. ("WHAT?? I switched from whole milk to fat free, and now you want to get rid of milk altogether?!") Not to mention what will happen when the salami and cheese disappears on Sunday night picnics.

*sigh....* yes, ONLY if the Lord wills, this will happen.

There's lots I do not know, so, like I said, I have to do my homework.

1 comment:

3boysmama said...

I would very interested in your research. We are completely dairy-free: forced to by Micah's allergy. I was so discouraged by it at first. But, now I think of it as a blessing. There are so many soy options out there now. Soy pudding, yogurt, sour cream, and cream cheese. However, I'm not sure how that lines up with the preservative-free diet. My Father in law gets terrible 3 day migraine headaches from MSG. Its quite fun going out to eat with him and Micah together. The wait staff LOVE us! =)