Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Baby, it's cold outside

This morning I checked the outside temp by looking at my computer: 19º F!

Until now I have avoided turning on the heat in my house because natural gas is so expensive and last winter's heating bills were exorbitant......but checking the indoor thermostat, my house was a toasty 55º . (Yikes!)

A. lit a fire in the fireplace, and we are all bundled up in flannels and blankets. Can't turn on the heat yet; it's not November! Actually, I begged A. to go get the air filters out of the furnace so I could clean them, then reinstall them and TURN ON THE DUMB HEAT! I'm breaking my own silly rule (more like guidelines, anyway). We almost made it to November! ;)

Because I am so cold, I am contemplating knitting some socks and mittens. But since I can only knit and purl and don't know how to read patterns, I think I'll just have to wear what I've already got. Not like I'd be able to finish them before it warms up a little bit anyway~!


Augh. been sitting here too long. Have to get up and move around!!

Because of the hard frost, today all the leaves will fall off the walnut tree in the front yard. Very nice for cleanup. One WHUMP and it's all done. It's rather like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree in that respect. I don't know if any other trees do that - lose all their leaves at once, rather than shedding them a few at a time in the wind and rain. Oh wait, a ginkgo tree does that too - WHUMP, hey presto, no leaves!

Mmmkay, it's time to go sit in the spot of sunshine in the living room and do some math. Lesson today is carrying over twice--though the trendy term now is "regrouping." 14 ones is "regrouped" as 1 ten, 4 ones. 12 tens is "regrouped" as 1 hundred, 2 tens. I still like "carrying over" and "borrowing" better.

MY NOSE IS COLD! I need to knit a nose warmer to tie around my head. I KNOW these have been made before because I've seen them.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

BRRR...that's colder tha it was here! This morning it was in the 60's, but by 8 a.m., had dropped down to 50, and was going down. So our temps started high, and dove downwards.

Hey, I knew that about the ginkgo tree, because of that gardening class I took. There's a nice tree to have! We don't really have trees in our yard, but we sure get leaves in our yard! Our yard seems to "suck" them right in from our neighbor's yards!

Tami said...

I feel your pain - or should I say COLD!!! I think our high today is supposed to be 29. BBBRRRRRRR

It's one of those days your just ant to curl up with a hot cup of coffee, a fuzzy blanket, and a good book!! (But if we did that in North Dakota every day it was like this I wouldn't be off the couch again until March!!!)

Annecourager said...

Tami, when it comes to North Dakota, there's an entirely different set of rules. Egads, could you imagine being a pioneer woman living in N.D.?? I am downright wimpy.

It was 25º this morning...warmed up, see? :) Global warming is afoot! lol

Okay, off to grab another cuppa and start school. A. wants a hot breakfast (cube steak!!!) so I'd better get cracking.

Christy said...

You don't even want to know what the weather is like down here - suffice it to say I haven't given up my flip-flops yet (I don't even think I'll need to this year, if we make it to Bali I won't even need pants - don't worry, I'll wear shorts or something).

Just an idea: kid's knitting books are REALLY easy and don't usually require the reading of a pattern. I've made several crazy things using them. Or, a beginning knitting book usually has really easy patterns and directions. You probably know that, but I thought I'd say it just in case. A fun way to fill up cold nights by the fire. :)

3boysmama said...

I think regrouping better describes what you are doing --an effort to teach kids what they do when they cross out the number then right a little 1 next to the other number. Semantics. When I taught 7th grade I would tell the kids "I can't read your handwriting!" They would reply confused "But I didn't write in handwriting." HUH??? I guess the elementary teachers called cursive handwriting.