Wednesday, December 06, 2006

St. Nicholas Day!

Well, my waffling about Sankt Niklaus hasn't made a lasting impression on my youngest halfling. See, every year the local fire department decks out Engine No. 2 with lights and puts Santa up on top, lit up with floodlights. Then they blare Christmas music out of the truck and drive slowly up and down the streets of Puyallup, giving candy canes to all kids. They do this in different quadrants of the city over the span of several days. It's great fun to see.

So tonight was our night~! Kids heard the sirens and music and went bonkers. "I-hill ha-have a-huh bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuee...............Christma-hus......without you-hoo......" was blaring as the truck drove down our street. Very happy kids. Santa, candy canes, and Elvis. What more could you ask for? After all, thanks to Lilo and Stitch, the kids think Elvis is a model citizen.

And today, December 6th, is actually St. Nicholas' Day. The kids' teacher, who is Greek Orthodox, told me that her church "adopted" 4 women/families that were living in the local Safe House and are helping them to have a Christmas. Someone came out dressed up like St. Nicholas and retold the ancient story, then provided the women and their children with needful gifts. I thought that was pretty cool.

BTW to clarify- yes, I homeschool. But yes, the kids have another teacher. We're doing a virtual public school - where I/kids do all the work - and we have a teacher resource for support and encouragement. (grin) ...AND accountability! We're in the Washington Virtual Academy (WAVA). Several other states have the same program. California, Colorado, Idaho, Florida, Pennsylvania all come to mind. At any rate... my taxes pay for it. No out-of-pocket for me. Some HS'ers have told me that I've "sold out" though--- I'm not really a homeschooler anymore, I'm part of the public school system. (some of these people can be very violent in their opinions!) But it's not their responsibility to educate my child, it's mine, and I must do what is best and right for US.

Which is why I don't criticise people for putting their kids in brick and mortar public schools either. Not my business, not my family...they have to do what's right and best for them!

Sorry about the tangent. Just rambling.

Which also reminds me, it's also St. Penny's day.......which, being interpreted, is my sister in law's birthday!!! Eeep! I'd better get that card in the mail. *rolling eyes*

AND speaking of cards, my Christmas cards are IN THE WORKS. No February mailings for me this year! ;O)

6 comments:

3boysmama said...

I am on a Homeschool email list and I recently unsubscribed. They were so adamant about THE way to homeschool and that homeschool is THE ONLY WAY. They would talk ad nauseum about how you need to be careful about the HS programs through public schools b/c you will get sued for teaching the Bible to your kids. Pu-lease. i think its a great way if you HS to meet people from outside your faith. Stretch your comfort levels and your kids'. But what do I know, I'm not homeschooling yet!

Tammy said...

LOL...what's wrong with Christmas cards in February? I need to get busy on my cards! I have so much to do in the next week and a half!!!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. St. Nicholas Day, Where in Holland St Nicholas is dressed not unlike the pope (which is a carryover from his career as a bishop in Turkey) comes from spain on a boat, then transfers to a horse along with his 6 to 8 Black men and leave candy in kids shoes... The Black men were understood to be his personal slaves untill the mid fifties when political climates changed and they bacame his 'close friends'. If the kids have been bad, they pretend to beat and kick them with 'small branch of a tree' (commonly known as a switch). If they have really been bad, the might throw them in a sack and drag them back to Spain.
Such is told to the children of the Netherlands, at least according to David Sadaris of npr and then verified by a guy with duch grandparents on the Bryan Suits show on KVI.

The upside to this is that duch children get to open presents on december 5th.

Nothing to do with homeschooling though.

Anonymous said...

They celebrate St. Nick's day here in Milwaukee. I hadn't heard about it until I moved here. Milwaukee is predominately Catholic.

Annecourager said...

oooh, the Dark Side of Saint Nicholas! That must carry over to the tradition here of leaving coal or a switch in some bad kid's stocking.

Performance-based rewards!

FrequentReader said...

Oooh, St. Nicholas Day. I was in Holland a few years ago on St. Nicholas Day, and it was such a neat cultural experience to see St. Nicholas walking around. We went to a Toys R Us, and wouldn't you know it that I left my camera at the home of the friend we were staying with, and so I didn't get photos of us with St. Nicholas and Sinter Klaus or Peter Sinclaus or whatever he's called that leaves switches for bad children.