Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Cookie Recipe

Tammy wants to do a cookie (recipe) exchange, and it's not even December! :) Go figure!

So here's a recipe for Turtle Cookies that I first made with Tammy's SIL Rebecca, hm, many years ago--like probably 15 years?! (am i really getting that old?) Oooh, the date on the recipe says "27 Feb 92." 14 years!! These are "fussy" cookies (read: not a "drop" cookie) that I usually reserve for holiday baking. Here goes:

Turtle Cookies (from Rebecca)

  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. margarine or butter
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp. maple flavor (optional)
  • 2 eggs (reserve one white)
  • 1 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 - 2 c. pecan halves

Frosting:
  • 1/3 c. chocolate chips
  • 3 Tbsp. milk
  • 1 Tbsp. margarine or butter
  • 1 c. powdered sugar (approximate)
Method:
Preheat oven to 350º F (180º C). Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla, one egg and one yolk; beat. Stir in flour, soda, and salt. Chill dough.

Arrange pecan pieces in groups of 3-5. (I like to do 4 so they look like legs). Roll dough into balls, dip into remaining egg white (which has been beaten slightly), and press ball lightly onto pecans. Bake 10-12 minutes. Do not overbake! Cool.

Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips, milk, and margarine. Add powdered sugar until desired consistency. Generously frost cooled cookies.

Makes about 2 dozen.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Those sound good! Hey, it doesn't have to be December to bake cookies, does it? :D I'm planning on baking cookies for our church's NBT.

Antonio said...

May I be so bold as to leave a comment that is not germaine to this post. I saw your comments on the Pyromaniacs.

I wanted to tell you that I am neither a proponent of Calvinism nor Arminianism. I believe that there are extreme problems with both.

I have many critiques of Calvinism on my blog, which you can find by clicking my avatar. On the right hand side is a list of articles under subject headings that you may find interesting. I would be happy to answer any of your questions.

Brad the lesser comes up with an objection to Calvinism, the burning house with two children, one rescued by Jesus, the other left for him to burn, which cannot be satisfactorily answered by the Calvinist, for he will either end up in hopeless absurdity, or sophistry.

God wills for all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. The Calvinist's perception of God gives lip service to this fact, but with each breath contradicts it.

I forgot, I have two blogs you may want to check out.

Antonio

Annecourager said...

Hi Antonio,
I'm laughing (in a nice way) that you posted under my cookie post rather than the "more spiritual" Romans 7 post above it. :)

Since you brought it up, let me say I don't care for the "classifications" of daisies or tulips either, but they are useful in determining where someone's coming from.

I grew up in a rather Arminian church setting--but through prayer, reflection, and just plain Bible study have come to adopt what some call the "Amyraldian" view-- or, TULIP without the "L," if you will.

In other words, I do not believe that God has appointed certain men to reprobation. As in the scripture you paraphrased, Christ desires all men to be saved, and to come to a knowledge of the truth. Not all men will, of course. Is this therefore a thwarting of God's desires? No. God's purpose cannot be thwarted.

I'll check out your blog when I'm not "mommying" (limited internet time), but as my husband put it this morning (and I paraphrase him): "Godly men on both 'sides' have wrestled with these things for 2000 years. Both sides have some truth--more so with the Calvinists than the Arminians--but what makes us think we'll be able to come to a definitive answer when nobody has until now?"

As you said, "I believe that there are extreme problems with both [Calvinism and Arminianism]." - I think the problem comes when one takes things to "extremes" and steps outside the boundaries of scripture into the realm of logic and human reasoning. (For example, the "L" of Limited Atonement - a construct of logic and human reasoning, not of biblical support that I can find.)

Anyway, Antonio, I thank you for taking the time to come post over here. Try the cookie recipe if you get a chance!

(LOL)