Monday, June 12, 2006

The Problem With the Christian Life: A Romans 7 day.

(I am chuckling to myself, envisioning all three of my faithful readers turning pale and deleting me from their links bar when they read the title of this post!)

I'm serious, though. The problem with the Christian life is that it is so DAILY. Every day I must recommit to walk the "path of disciplined Grace." Every day I must die to self, that I may live to righteousness. Every day I struggle with the same sins that I always do, and it's very humbling to run back to the Lord and say, "Yes, I know I was just speaking to You 5 minutes ago about this very sin, and Lord, I'm very sorry, but, I've done it again-- as You already know, because You're omniscient."

In Romans 7 Paul writes (and I echo from my heart): "I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing." And just a few verses later, I cry out with Paul, "Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?"

The conclusion? "Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!" And the chapter division comes in rather unfortunately at this point. But taken as a natural flow of thought, from one concept to the next - Paul's next point is, "There is therefore NO CONDEMNATION to those who are in Christ Jesus!"

So though it is humbling to return and confess to God sins that I JUST confessed hours, nay! moments before-- I must do it. And I must keep God's perspective on it: There is NO CONDEMNATION upon me for doing so, even if I am condemning myself for being so weak, foolish and stupid YET AGAIN.

"By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him;
for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart,
and he knows everything."
(1 John 3:19-20)

Lord, help me not to condemn myself and keep from running to You when I so desperately need your mercy and grace and forgiveness. There is no shame in being completely dependent upon you. There IS shame in relying upon myself, thinking I can hide from you, as my father Adam did in the garden!

1 comment:

3boysmama said...

That is great. I couldn't help but thinking of Micah. He does the same things wrong and I need to be patient with him, because in God's eyes I am the same way! God doesn't ever get mad at me and say "how many times have I told you to not xyz?"