Monday, June 05, 2006

A Cream of Wheat Morning

Saturday morning began as most Saturdays do: A and I attempting to sleep as long as possible, whilst Numbers One and Two play toys. Except this time, the toys played with were the guinea pigs.

Naturally, Flopsy escaped her boundaries and ran, as is her habit, toward the dining room table. However, the dining room has a new piece of furniture--the hutch! Which sits about 4" off the floor, perfect for a cavy to squeeze under and make it impossible for human captors to retrieve her.

All the cajoling and cooing in the world was not going to budge that guinea pig from her den. Carrots were spurned. Kiss noises were ignored. She was not going to move from that spot for love or treats.

It became a three-person affair: Me to tilt the hutch (carefully!) against the wall, A to fish under the hutch with one arm, and D to keep a weather eye open to see which way she would bolt. I envisioned losing control of the hutch, sending it crushing down onto her small fuzzy head! It was rather stressful. However, she was retrieved without incident or injury, and sent back out to the backyard cage to pasture.

Later Saturday afternoon, D became ill. Very ill. He was miserable, and so was I watching him. On average, every 30 minutes he was violently sick! Poor kid. I headed to Fred Meyer's to get some Failsafe remedies - like 7up without all the preservative junk that we are avoiding right now. I got some Blue Sky natural cola, and managed to find some popsicles that weren't just sugar and colored water.

I headed home, armed with remedies, and ignoring the ominous queasies I was beginning to have.

Alas. D and I spent the night in the living room: he on the couch, I in the recliner. Things finally settled down for David around 11:30 pm; I pulled an all-nighter until 6:30 a.m.

Sunday was indeed a day of rest! Most unfortunately I had to bail out of a duet I was playing at the annual teachers' recital. I do not know if Kari played a solo, or if she got Mimi to play my duet part with her (Mimi can sight-read just about anything). I stayed in bed, aching so much that it was difficult to sleep. When I was certain that it would stay down, I took some ibuprofen and then I was able to sleep like the dead all afternoon.

So this morning, I'm well-rested, though a bit shaky. It's definitely a morning for cream of wheat. Maybe even for lunch too!


Oh....WE FINISHED HISTORY TODAY!

(School happens even when I've been sick! wuaahahahaaa)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Great list. I need to read more fiction. I've been picking up a few novels here and there but I find they take more concentration than non-fiction. It takes quiet initially for me to get absorbed into the story. I recently became enthralled with Beverly Lewis after reading a post on Tammy's blog. After reading my first, I had my mind set on a particular one and would ya believe I got it at a yard sale for 25cents? The only Beverly Lewis book she had, too. Hmmm...maybe I ought to read it!

Glad you're feeling better.