Sunday, August 06, 2006

Odds and Ends

Haven't posted in a bit because my parents are visiting. Been challenging to get to the computer, though I have done some reading/posting on other blog buddies.


Not much to report, honestly! The parents took the Amtrak (train) up from California. Being a government-run entity, the train was 5 1/2 hours late, arriving around 3 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time in Tacoma. yick.

Since then, been running here and there, hither and yon. Grandma has bought both kids new sheets/comforters for their beds.
Their old sheets were very worn out, and their comforter blankets didn't fit their new beds. Still, we were making do. Bedding is pricey, so we are thankful to Grandma. D. was all for going to Goodwill or Value Village to get some "old sheets" (he also wanted old shoes and an old school backpack, rather than buying new--we've trained him well! LOL) - and it really took some convincing that Grandma was willing and able to buy him NEW ones, a real treat! So he was delighted to get Spiderman sheets/comforter.








S. was a little more difficult. She wanted baseball sheets at first (a new interest for her), but the sheets we found didn't look like they'd suit her room (which is purplish). And I am NOT going to have that Bratz trash in my daughter's room! (excuse me.) She's outgrown Dora; Disney Princesses are just OK (plus I hate buying into the Disney empire; they own too much of childhood as it is); Spongebob is too .... yellow....what to do? We finally settled on a butterfly theme that's pale green and white with pink/blue butterflies.
Looks perfect with that girly room.







The other thing that S. got that she's been begging for is HIGH TOP CONVERSE ALL-STAR SHOES. 2 tone, coral and pink. We happened to find shoes on clearance at Fred Meyer with 40% off the lowest marked price, so, what were originally $40 shoes (too much for a 7 year old who grows fast!) - were now $17. Much better, still too much for this cheap mommy, but Grandma was doing the buying.


I'll post pictures later. We had our annual church barbecue today and I am exhausted.


edited Monday, August 7 at 5:35 p.m.: added photos

7 comments:

3boysmama said...

I was wondering if your parents still came up to do the bbq in the summer. So nice to have your parents here! I had to chuckle a bid b/c its the same way at our house when grandma comes to visit. Major spoiling gets done! She loves to shop for the boys and buy things for them.

Since Micah doesn't get to eat many of the usual kid treats like ice cream and such, she spoils him rotten with sorbet, popsicles, and every kid of kid cracker/graham cracker like substance. (Teddy Grahams, animal cookies, Bug Bites, etc)

Annecourager said...

mrs blythe-- I'm laughing at "large and growly" --I think I will have to adapt this for use in my slang repertoire (which is vast)...

Crystal, actually this is the first time in two years that my parents have been able to come up. 2 years ago my dad fell and broke his femur while setting a gopher trap in the yard (in CA) just before they had planned to come- Caddyshack's revenge, I guess.... then last year Dad was very ill in the hospital, with some vague illness where we weren't sure what the outcome would be. He's blind in one eye now, and weighs about 175. Which for him is simply amazing, since he used to be 500 lbs when I was a kid.

Don't know if you knew that or not. :) Japanese tourists used to take pictures of him at Disneyland!

3boysmama said...

I remember him being a big man, but not 500lbs large. That's great that he was able to lose so much weight, albeit forced upon him.

Anonymous said...

From "David's Mom"

BASEBALL??!! THAT'S MY GIEL !!!!

Anonymous said...

Say "hi" to your folks for me.

Annecourager said...

LOLOL!! "David's Mom" posted here!!! Hi!

Yep, baseball. I dissuaded her from purchasing a Yankees cap the other day at Target. She wants a baseball cap, but there's no Detroit Tigers paraphernalia to be found anywhere here, sorry.

Besides, the M's are only like 5 games out of first, aren't they?? They've been worse...

*cough*


Yep Kevin, I'll do it. They had breakfast with your mom and Hank on Monday.

Annecourager said...

... I just checked...6 games out of first. This is the Mariner team I remember when I first moved up here.