Saturday, August 19, 2006

Sneaky Apple Pie

Now is the time of year that you do not want to leave your car windows open. Do not leave your front porch unattended. Put up construction barriers to keep visitors off your front porch. And, if you see your neighbor coming across the street holding a large grocery sack, do NOT open the door to her. Do not make a sound, just pretend you are not home.

Why all the paranoia? Because it's....

ZUCCHINI SEASON!


In the event that all your precautions fail, however, I do have a Plan B for you. This is a recipe I got from Jennifer last September, and it's so good that your family/guests will never know it's zucchini.

Unless, of course, you tell them! Then you can sit back and enjoy the "oohs" and "aaahs" of amazement. It's that good.

So here it is - a recipe originally given the blasé title of "Zucchini Dessert Bars," but which I forthwith renamed

SNEAKY APPLE PIE
Crust:
  • 4 c flour
  • 2 c sugar
  • 1 ½ c cold butter
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp salt
Mix together and cut in butter. Reserve 3 cups and pat remaining in 9x13 pan. Bake @ 375 for 10-12 minutes

Filling:
  • 8-10 c. zucchini (peeled, seeded, and cubed)
  • 2/3 c. lemon juice
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp nutmeg
Boil zucchini and lemon juice 6-8 minutes. Add sugar & spices. Simmer 5 min. Pour over crust and sprinkle remaining crust mixture on top. Bake 40-45 min @ 375.


I plan to make this very soon. I had enough zucchini last week, but unfortunately I let the zucchini/lemon juice boil too long, and I scorched it. And in removing it from the stove and setting it in the sink, I scorched myself!

So I'm waiting until after Lora's reception is over with. I know I'll be inundated with zucchini by then! So you'd better keep your car windows rolled up when I'm around...

2 comments:

3boysmama said...

too funny! My friend Daphne has a link on her home page that talks about Aug 8 being leave a zucchini on a friend's porch night. Go to www.closes.org

Annecourager said...

I rest my case!


What is it about this "rabbit" of the vegetable world that we continue to plant hills of it every summer?