Saturday, August 26, 2006

warning: danger of suffocation

I had three panic attacks today.


I'm usually a pretty calm person, but not today. You see, Thursday we re-hung all the plastic sheeting from ceiling to floor. Then Thursday night, Audra's hubby Matt the Contractor ("can we fix it? YES WE CAN!") (sorry, flashback)...where was I? Oh yes. Matt came over and sprayed ceiling texture (NOT POPCORN) back on the ceilings.

It dried overnight. We left the plastic up. I stayed in my bedroom that night, trying not to think about all the plastic, trapping me like a turkey roasting bag on Thanksgiving.

Friday morning I was up and out the door to a Randall Faber piano teachers' workshop in Olympia. Fabulous pedagogue. Reinforced much of what I'm learning from Mimi, as well as giving me new and creative ways to reach and teach younger kids proper technique while keeping it fun. (Not to mention that these workshops are really promos for FJH's new piano materials, didja bring yer wallet? But I didn't mind.)

But alas, I had to come home to the plastic tomb again, armed with three gallons of Parker Paint's "linen white." (Hey, I have to use a white on the ceilings. I haven't wimped out on the use of color, honest!) So Friday afternoon, A. and I (mostly A) painted. And painted. And the texture would sometimes pull away from the ceiling, leaving little, pencil-eraser-sized bare spots behind, almost like a bald spot on a mangy bear. (I'm trying to be descriptive here, and it's just sounding reeeediculous. Bear with me. Ha.)

Got the first coat up, but had to let it dry/set overnight. One more night in the shopping bag nightmare.

I woke up, sweating bullets, around 3 am. There was no air in the house! or so it seemed. Heart pounding out of my chest, panting, and panicking. No fun.

I did some deep breathing exercises and was able to calm my heart rate down.

This morning, going out to the kitchen (taped completely off by plastic), I had another panic attack by the coffeemaker, and again a few minutes later in my bedroom.


I just can't handle plastic, I guess! I've spent the day either in the living room, which is the most spacious of the rooms, or here at the computer, distracting myself by learning more about CSS so I can revamp two different web sites that I maintain.

I'm trying not to think about the chaos, or I'm trying to reason myself back to reality, that this is only temporary.

But I tell you, in about one hour I'm going to rip down all that plastic before I go postal!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you closterphobic?

Annecourager said...

terribly so, I'm afraid. I get all nervous watching The Great Escape where the tunnel falls in on the guy...

Anonymous said...

on other remodeling news, completely unrelated to what this posting is other than having to do with remodeling...
Do you remember when the youth groupl would go up to seattle and do the Pike place market, Westlake center, and seattle center circuit? Do you remember the parking garage that we used to always park in at 1st and union at the southern entrance to the Pike place market?
Well they tore it down now and are going to build a Four Seasons hotel and Condos there. I'm doing the sprinkler system and went to a job meeting... it took me the longest time looking at the site thinking "where's that parking garage I always used when I came to seattle" I was all set to park there. DOH!
-Richard

Annecourager said...

oh NOOOO! That was my favorite place to park!! Crud. Isn't there already a Four Seasons Hotel in Seattle?? I thought Slick Willy used to stay there when he'd visit here.

Okay, so do you have a suggestion on another good place to park in Seattle? pffft. Seattle is bad enough for parking; to go and tear down a parking garage is insane. "They" want us all to use mass transit, don't they?

Anonymous said...

The Washington Mutual tower parking garage right accross the street on union is a good place. It's on the same block as the art museum.
There was a four seasons and then they closed it/sold it. Now they're building a super posh one there.

3boysmama said...

How funny... we used to park there too and i completely forgot we parked there with the youth group! One of our friends owns a condo in the building next to it (in an old building) and he successfully sued them because now the new place will block his view of the water. FYI didja know Bill and co. (as in gates) has bought up 1-2 floors in the condos in that tower?

Anonymous said...

They bought it in the Four Seasons?
I was looking at the veiw issue the last time I was there, and I was thinking that the people on the north and south sides of the building were probably not that happy about having a new 23 story tower right next door that will keep them almost permanantly in the shade.

Anonymous said...

well, you know, I'm the worst at keeping in touch... if not for the internet, I'd be a hermit living in the mountains

Anonymous said...

oh I get out and about,
I just don't call people.

Annecourager said...

Yeah, I used to "talk" to Richard all the time on ICQ. I can't even find that program on my computer anymore! I just use MSN messenger...when I use anything, which is seldom.

....hey....I don't even know where Richard LIVES right now, let alone his phone number! :)

And what's the deal with "? rebecca" - are you having an identity crisis?? :D