Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Flood update

Well, looks like I spoke too soon: the Puyallup River is expected to crest OVER the River and Levee Roads in the next few hours - so the fire dept is going door to door, evacuating people. This is different from the warning from the dear weather service:

THE PUYALLUP RIVER AT PUYALLUP... * AT 9 AM TUESDAY THE STAGE WAS 28.2 FEET * FLOOD STAGE IS 30.0 FEET * FORECAST...THE RIVER WILL RISE TO NEAR 28.7 FEET LATE THIS AFTERNOON.

I repeat, however, this is not in my section of the city. However, our friend Norm has his automotive shop over there so A. is going to see if he can help him move things up and out of the way. (edit: A. couldn't get down there, so no go.) I hope he comes to get us so I can take some pictures. (edit: He did!)

Here's a couple photos taken with my camera!
This is taken from Levee Road into Fife, looking south over to River Road. If the levee weren't there, all of Fife would be underwater!!




This, again, is from Levee Road, looking at the 66th Street bridge which joins River with Levee, and Puyallup with Fife.

Interesting things we saw floating down the river into the Puget Sound: much timber, a cooler, and ...a washing machine!


Okay, enough weather education for today....must move on to grammar - helping verbs, and the use of "bring" v. "take."
fun fun fun!

1 comment:

3boysmama said...

Wow, I didn't realize "the river" was so high. I wonder if my dad was evacuated!!