Saturday, July 22, 2006

ice cream day

This is the absolutely most fabulous day for ice cream ever! Until tomorrow, that is!!

It's a mere 92 degrees now, 8 p.m. on a Saturday night, and I have Jennifer's Famous Ice Cream Recipe turning in our electric ice-cream freezer on the back porch (too noisy for inside the house), and everyone's in the pool----erhm, except me. Back in a bit.



AAAHHHHHH, MUCH better. Splashing about in the pool did the trick. Now I'm all showered up and feeling cool and crisp. Now where's that ice cream? Still churnin' on the back porch. I'd better get out another sack of ice, or it'll be midnight before it's ready, with this weather!

Hm. Just checked on the ice cream, and it was coming out the top. So I stopped the churner, brought in the ice cream, and just guzzled some vanilla ice cream about the consistency of a milkshake! YUM.

For the curious, here is . She gave it to me without even having to look at a recipe card, which she thought was pretty sad, at the time! (grin)

Jennifer's Fabulous Family Ice Cream Recipe
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 6 eggs, beaten
  • 1 quart whipping cream
  • 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 6 junket/rennet tablets, dissolved in a little bit of water
Beat eggs with sugar; add cream, vanilla, and lemon juice. Pour into 1-gallon ice cream freezer. Add milk to the fill line (a little less than 3/4 gal. will be needed). Add rennet last. Freeze according to machine directions.

Eat right away; save some for later; enjoy on hot days, cold days, or when you've had a bad day; put in on your oatmeal instead of boring old milk; put between two large oatmeal cookies to make an It's It (ice cream cookie sandwich I used to eat in California)---the possibilities are endless!


And now I have just about a full gallon of homemade ice cream out in my big freezer. OY. Think I'll take it to church tomorrow night!

3 comments:

3boysmama said...

what happened to your dairy-free diet? =)

3boysmama said...

oh and what is rennet?

Annecourager said...

Well Crystal, we never went completely dairy-free. I just wanted the kids to develop a taste for soy/rice milk in case it became necessary.

My mom has lactose intolerance, and I probably will develop it too. I just love milk! :(

Rennet is something, like jello, that you don't really want to know the origins of. :) It's an enzyme used in making cheese. Taken from the 4th stomach of a cow.