Monday, July 10, 2006

Letterboxing

Since Rebecca's all fired up about geocaching these days, I learned about something new today that sounds really cool - vy. similar to geocaching - called letterboxing.

It's like a big treasure hunt. People post clues on the 'Net about how to find their letterboxes, and when you find their (waterproof!) box, inside it is a journal, a rubber stamp/ink pad, and whatever else. You carry a sketch book, rubber stamp and pad with you, and you stamp their journal with your stamp, and then you stamp their journal with your stamp! It's like leaving a calling card.

I've already looked at letterboxing.org and a few other places and there's lots of sites in Washington to explore--including 7 or 8 here in my town. I plan to do this with the kids. I just have to find a rubber stamp that represents our family. Maybe a turtle stamp, or an olive stamp! :)

THen again, maybe I should just let the kids have their own stamps. I know D will have some sort of dino, and S will choose a kitty, or a puppy, or a horse... :)

I"ll have to see if I can get A. interested in doing this too. I know there's a letterbox at the local Bubble Tea shop. A good reason to go in--I've just never made the time to do it!

If we like this well enough, we can make and hide our own letterboxes. I didn't see any listed for DeCoursey Park, though there's about 5-6 at Wildwood Park.

Anyway. That's my new interesting thing of the day.

4 comments:

3boysmama said...

so have you tried it yet?

I had another idea that but you probably already thought of it. You should have your kids blog as a writing assignment. I think it would be a kick to read!

3boysmama said...

oh, and how's the diet going? What prompted you to try it out?

Tammy said...

Sounds like something the kids would enjoy!

Thanks for your comment to my anonymous commentor today!

Annecourager said...

Haven't tried it yet! Been doing piano, swimming, karate, etc. Well I should say, the KIDS have been doing all those things.

Friday is a freer day. I need to go get a kewl stamp now! :)